#navbar-iframe

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

New Trip - New Sport

This view is from Josh's 3rd story balcony. I was hoping to see the same thing. Snow, snow, snow. Unfortunately for me it will in the 70's the whole week I am here in Salt Lake City, UT.


I am sitting in the airport (which I seem to do often, but no complaints here), and in just about one hour I will be leaving Sacramento and flying into Salt Lake City, Utah. I had hoped there would be tons of snow, (I have no desire to ski or snow board, but love the view-from the INSIDE looking out!) unfortunately it will be 70 degrees for the next three to five days. Of course my stay is 6 short days.

I am going to SLC to see my son. He is one of the fortunate inline speed skaters that is participating in the WHiP program and when he was first asked and accepted he decided to purchase a Condo (with a little convincing from his parents!) in the area. There is somewhat of a “frantic” story that goes with that and hopefully I will have time during my visit with him to tell you how I helped Josh purchase a Condo by phone, by fax and through the internet almost sight unseen!!

Anyway, this weekend there is a race and all that I truly know about the race is that it is at the Oval in Utah and it has the words "World and Cup" attached to it. Now I figure skated at the age of 10 and was told then that I needed to make a decision between “roller skating and ice skating”, it’s obvious which sport I chose and I do not regret it. The only thing that I know about ice speed skating is that it is fast and cold! I hope that I can educate myself and those of us who do not live on the East Coast and who do not do ice once or twice a week!! For most of us on the West Coast.... there is not a lot available in that discipline, at least in Northern California.


I hope that you will come back and watch for MY trial and tribulations at learning a new sport that I do not participate in, coach or understand except as a parent!! And of course there will be pictures.

I probably know just enough about ice speed skating to get myself in trouble (sorry Josh if I embarrass you)!! This really should be interesting or even amusing if nothing else. Linda :)