#navbar-iframe

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Car Rental is HEAVY Challenge

Today was all about flying and picking up my luggage that is ALWAYS over weight! This time it was only one bag that was over so I tipped the Sky Cap $20.00 to take the 60 pound bag and the 49.5 pound bag. Then it was onto the car rental. This rental would prove a little more challenging than others. When I arrived the guy behind the counter changed his “attitude” when he realized that my car was pre-paid through PRICELINE.COM. For those of you not familiar with this service, you can go on their website and “name your price” that you are willing to pay. If there are any car rental agencies willing to accept your offer then you have a deal and your credit card is charged immediately. You cannot back out.

This time my offer was accepted by AVIS for $13.00 a day for the Economy size. Usually they try to make their money back by “up-selling” you to a larger vehicle for only $5.00 a day or “Do you want a GPS system?” and finally the one I like, the big one, “Do you want to add a billion dollar insurance policy to that?” As always I’m on a budget and thanks but no thanks!

I was polite as always but I could tell this guy was going to make me pay one way or another!! He handed me my keys and told me row G-41. Funny thing is after about G-39, the company name changed to National Car Rental. I walked and walked through the car rental place looking for Avis
G-41 while dragging the 60 pound piece of luggage, the 49 pound of luggage, the 40 pound backpack and the 25 pound carry-on bag, along with the keys and the rental agreement. Now I want to go back in and tell that guy, “Ok, ok… you win, add on what ever you need and let me just get out of here”. But then all of a sudden I see a guy who works for Avis and he tells me, “Lady… G-41 is after G-40”. No duh, really?!

He finally told me it was across the parking lot. Go figure. I finally get there, drop all of my luggage to the ground and realize, Yes I can put the luggage in the car, but I can’t get in. That’s right, my car is parked too close to the 15-passenger van next to it. Actually the van was parked on the line. I swear this guy knew it.

Once I was in the car it was on to the Oval to see Josh. After arriving it was calming to walk into the Oval and watch the skaters glide from one edge to the other. You could hear the blade carving the ice as each skater went by. Sometimes the sound lasting longer as several skaters formed a pack. I started looking for Josh. I did not see a familiar uniform, helmet or skates. For just a moment I forgot that I was not at an inline practice.

It took many minutes for me to find him, but once I did it was such an incredible feeling when he came over and gave me a huge hug. A few of the inline/ice skaters that I knew stopped on the wall to say hi. It was great seeing Jillianne Rookard, Jonathan Garcia, Lauren Cholewinsky and others.

Come back tomorrow and see what skaters do at night besides eat and watch tv!!