#navbar-iframe

Saturday, February 23, 2008

JUST TEN DAYS LEFT

Wow... I can't believe it. Only ten days left until we start our Inline March Madness Invitational. We started some time back in July 2007 setting the dates in the rink book so that no private parties or sessions would be scheduled over our meet. We had to schedule the dates of when the floor coating would need to be done, all the while ensuring that we missed the week vacation that the local school district decided to take in February. We couldn't have the rink close down when all of the kids were out of school so it took a little maneuvering of days and times, but we got it handled.

Flyers needed to be printed and then brought to Indoor Nationals and of course we needed to find people to hand those out. We wanted to make sure we got our date out there early so that people could and would plan to attend a great meet. By August we had our own website and blog to match the name of our event and we felt we were on our way.

But there are always things that jump into the mix that we don't expect. The roof started leaking (again... our rink operator has spent literally THOUSANDS of dollars over the last 27 years that I have worked there) and now there was no turning back. This time he was told.... something big needed to be done. Not one to put it off, management spent even bigger bucks and basically started from scratch. They did just about everything but tear the building down... but we finally had a new roof.


Then I took an unexpected but most welcomed trip to Salt Lake City, Utah to visit my son. I originally had planned just 4 or 5 days, but once I got there and saw all of the World Class skaters, I extended my ticket for an additional 7 days and took it all in, while video taping, writing and watching all that I could. It was a new sport for me and I wanted to understand exactly what my son was doing. I think by the time I left, many were happy to see me go. It seemed that all I did was constantly ask questions!! But I think once you know ANY sport well, especially at the ELITE level, you approach every other sport the same way and want to know everything!! At least I do. My husband was afraid at one point that I would want to try and coach ice. I said, "Are you kidding ME??? It's too cold in there!!!" LOL Seriously I could have seen myself trying to "think" that I could have coached ice 15 years ago, but not today. No, I just wanted to be a mom.... a spectator.

(more to be added..)